About First United Methodist Church of Honolulu
We are Hawaii’s original Methodist Church established in 1855 under a Royal Charter issued by King Kamehameha IV. We are the only congregation in the United Methodism so established. Throughout our history, we have been a church which celebrates diversity under the unifying spirit of Christ and which seeks his leadership in new and innovative ministries.
Our Sanctuary at First United Methodist Church
Our sanctuary was designed by architect Alfred Preis, who also designed the Arizona Memorial at Pearl Harbor.
Mr. Preis has incorporated Christian elements with reminders of the blessings of Hawaii:
- The cross is made of block glass that lets natural sunlight through and is a reminder that Christ is the Light of the World.
- The high ceiling is reminiscent of the cathedrals of Europe, with a verticality that evokes a feeling of being swept up to heaven.
- The walls are constructed of concrete made from Hawaiian sand and lava rock, to remind us of the beautiful islands that God has given us.
- The pews are on a diagonal, so that you can see more people, evoking the Aloha spirit, and reminder that we are a gathered community in Christ.